Origin of the port
Even many hundreds of years ago, people settled where they found an ideal point of departure for travel by land and also via water. Until today, port towns benefit from logistic advantages giving them an enormous competitive edge.
The district port of Rendsburg commenced operation in 1896 in the wake of the Kiel Canal opening in 1895. The construction of the canal intensified the import of wood from the Baltic Sea states and the regional port of Rendsburg became an important hub for Scandinavian and Eastern European wood.
The central position in the heart of Schleswig Holstein and at the intersection of the Kiel Canal, a lifeline of world economy, with the most important road and railway links in the country favoured the positive development of the port even further. Quickly, it became on of the most important ports for transshipment and ship supply.
Until the 1950s the regional port had an own rail connection, so freight could be loaded directly from ship to freight trains.
In 1993 the operation of the regional port was transferred to the business development corporation (Wirtschaftsförderungsgesellschaft) of the district Rendsburg-Eckernförde.
Since 2004, the port is certified according to the International Ship and Port Security Code (ISPS) Code.